Friday, February 1, 2008

SQUEEEEEEE!!!!

A couple of weeks ago, I put in an order on the magical interwebs. This order was to be from Stansborough Farm. These are the people who made the elven cloaks for the Lord of the Rings movies, and these are the people who made the woolen items for -- oh yes -- The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

Many of you know that I adore Mr. Tumnus. Especially as portrayed by the scrumptious and insanely talented Mr. James McAvoy. And I lurrrve his scarf. That red woolen muffler that he wears so casually draped around his neck. The one of which there are precious few good screencaps, because there are precious few closeups in the movie. At any rate, I have already made one attempt at recreating said scarf. It's passable, but not as accurate as I'd like. So I decided that I'd like to make a new one, a better one. And this time, I went to the source.

The aformentioned order placed on the magical interwebs was for three balls of Stansborough Fibres' knitting wool, a luscious wool/angora blend that they claim to have used in the movie scarf. And guess what?

IT ARRIVED TODAY!!!

It's fabulous. It's not as thick or as soft or as bright as I'd expected. But it's beautiful and the fact that it's so rare (they only produce limited quantities) and special makes me soooo happy! Also, I'm certain it'll bloom and soften up once it's been washed.

What? Oh, right! The pictures!!!

tumnusyarn9

tumnusyarn7
Such a beautiful deep red! And this isn't really even accurate. It's just the closest I could get. It's even darker than this in person. But perhaps that's why the scarf in the movie looks brighter? Because it photographs brighter? Who knows...

tumnusyarn2
This is more like the true color.

tumnusyarn8

Nom nom nom...

This cheers me up from the fact that alas, I will not have a post ready for Michelle Ward's Crusade for January. I'll still post what I have when I finish, but it won't be in time for the deadline. Very disappointed in myself. But I refuse to be sad now! I have New Zealand wool! And it's a unique breed and it's TUMNUS YARN!!!!

5 comments:

AK said...

The wool is a brilliant score and how great to have an exact replica scarf. I can't wait to see how it knits up, the colour is so deep it's going to be interesting to see it as a knitted fabric.

Thanks for cheering me up, I am getting over it now but I still can't believe I made the mistake in the first place!

Trillian42 said...

Yay Tumnus yarn! Is so pretty!!! I can't wait to see it in person!

Lola said...

I'm really looking foward to fondling it . . .

turtlegirl76 said...

Oh that is soooooooooooo pretty. I'm in love.

Megan B said...

*drools on keyboard* That is luscious.
I went to a Black Diamond event. Austin and I stood by the fighting for 1 1/2 hours with only a couple of "Milady"s thrown at me. Didn't actually meet or speak to anyone until 3 hours into the event. Talk about a let down.
House hunting is going very good at the moment. Once we have it, we can actually get a decent tax refund. Its sad when you look forward to that kind of thing.