Thursday, December 12, 2013

Thursday Theme: Frozen

Hi all!  Back to posts with photos!  Although, ironically after all those posts about inspiration and personal style and such, I have been seriously off my groove.  I have wanted to make things, but just haven't had the inspiration.  I've been keeping up with my sketching, but don't have anything more than a few studies yet.  It's like my artistic impulse and inspiration have been frozen solid by the sudden decisive onset of Winter. 

But last night I sort of forced a thaw.  I had some gift tags to make and some boxes that needed to go out in the mail for some far-flung friends.  I decorated the boxes first, and it was kind of rough.  For a while I just sort of sat there looking at all my stuff, as though I didn't know what I was doing.  I pushed myself to just get started, though, and so I'm not all that thrilled with how they turned out.  Well, they're just shipping boxes, so they're not meant to be kept...


But once I got started on the tags to go with the gifts in them, I started to warm up a little better.




Isn't it strange how you can get so thrown off, and freeze up and feel like you can't do anything anymore?  Or maybe it's just me that happens to.  Well, hopefully I can keep warming up and get the fire burning again.  I have so much to do for Christmas!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ms Pocket, these tags and wrappings look great. I love all of the layers, metallic and bold touches against the winter muted tones. These strike me as very sophisticated. Sometimes you need to pause and let art ideas roll around in your head before manifesting them. Plus, the very short days tend to sap creative energy.

Unknown said...

Ms. Pocket, I think these look very sophisticated. Love the metallic and hot reds against the overall muted wintery tones and themes. Good contrast. That lamp post is such a nifty stamp. With the short daylight hours it is easy to lose creative energy, don't I know. However, if you don't feel in the mood to strike out in an independent style, working around it by making practical pieces like tags and papers is an excellent plan. You can't be 100% unique all of the time, and changing your stylistic direction takes mental energy. Allow your ideas to simmer in the background, and in the meantime, make good art!

Maryanne said...

I think the boxes look great! And, I love the tags. You really think of every thing. I'm sure you're the only one making the shipping boxes into art, with coordinating tags!!! Love it!

Diana Taylor said...

These are fabulous - I think anyone would be thrilled to get one of your highly original and decorative boxes in the post, and the tags are beautiful. I'm in a similar boat to you at the moment, so you are not alone! I simply can't seem to get creative in the way I want to - I liken it to writer's block!