Monday, March 19, 2012

Sanguine

This spread is an ode to my favorite color.  It's my favorite color of nail polish, of lipstick, of balloons, of flowers... It was also an opportunity to "restrain" myself and let the color breathe on the page.  And that's something I needed to do, because Michelle's Last Crusade is a challenge to leave some space in our work.  To decide when enough is enough, you must choose - but choose wisely.  I've got lots of stamps I could've used to showcase my favorite color, a lot of embellishments I could've used, a lot of powders and glitzy things and fibers and crap.  But I chose a simple application - just paint, paper, and little tag swatches.  I hope I chose wisely.  What do you think?

I tried to bring different shades but not make it elaborate.  Still a lot going on here, but I tried to keep things solid.

The paper strip has different terms for shades of red written on it.  Hard to cover the whole thing.

So I'd have a record, I wrote in what colors of what materials I used.

I actually managed to get this posted early, so I might manage to squeeze in two entries this month.  It's Springtime, and I tend to go lighter this time of year, so I'm sure I'll come up with something :)

P.S. Mr. Pocket and I were watching Heat Seekers on the Food Network while I posted this; a lot of what they were eating could've gone into this spread.  But I'm not touching that stuff!

19 comments:

michelle ward said...

Ooooh Carrie! You know I'm a RED girl too! Love this. So bold and brave to let the red stand alone in the spotlight. I know how you feel - the impulse to use all your favorite RED things on the page. But we know there are many pages in a journal - lots of places to show your bling. Love that you documented the colors. This will be a fun resource years from now.

I'm feeling the Spring palette emerging for myself too, or as I like to call it, Seasonal Wardrobe ;)

Thanks for sharing with the team Carrie!

Carolyn Dube said...

This is wonderful!

Parabolic Muse said...

Oh, WOW! Sanguine is right!

I love these pages and the tags. This is just the rich bold color that makes me want to go back to my journal right now even when I'm in the middle of something else!

Thank you for sharing. It's a great challenge, isnt' it?

Diana Taylor said...

Absolutely stunning pages - you have really done what the challenge required. Well done for not adding all the extras, the pages just don't need it - they are perfect as they are!

Maryanne said...

Oh, WOW!!! I love what you've done! These pages are great! Love that you used tags to document what you used. Too cool!

jgr said...

Carrie, this is gorgeous! You rocked the red(s)!

K J D said...

Yep I'd agree you chose wisely!!!

I get that you really like red (!) - but your restraint worked really well on these pages.

Love the tags and red :)

btw thanks for visiting and your sweet comment

Michelle said...

Great layout! Love how you got the red paint to fade around the edges!

Sylvie said...

You chose very well! Red is my fave. This is so rich and wonderful, i don't want to leave.

Kim Mailhot said...

What a glorious red celebration ! You did this challenge up right.
I haven't taken part in a Crusade in a long time but wanted to celebrate this last one with all of you wonderful artists.
Here's to the creative life !
Cheers !

Terri Corona said...

Your pages are so rich and full of texture, but simple at the same time, not too much for the eye to take in - it just gets to look and enjoy the fabulous reds! Great job!

Anonymous said...

The tags are such a cool idea - I think the page works so well. Love all your reds.
I always enjoy my "end of month, and the newspaper's finished blog cruise 'n comment" time. It's been lovely to meet you and your work via the Crusades. Thanks for sharing what you do with everyone. May the rest of 2012 be filled with creative happiness for you.

Diana Taylor said...

I've already visited and commented on these wonderful pages, but I just popped back to say thank you for your kind comments and good wishes - they are very much appreciated.

Karenliz Henderson said...

I love your red pages! The little tags with what you used on the pages in a great idea.

TJ said...

This is red-licious! I love how the background color doesn't go to the edges of the pages. And the tags make an interesting diagonal, complete with their secret notes beneath! Beautiful work. Thanks for sharing... best wishes, tj

lena-dailyscrap said...

This is really nice! The red talks to me... Great idea with the tags as well!

Daphne said...

yummy colors, and so very clever use of all the materials. Nice and bold, yes!

Karen Isaacson said...

I love the way the red background floats in the middle of the page (I always forget to leave space in backgrounds - I slather the whole thing from edge-to-edge). That red rectangle really anchors it. and those tags are inspired! I never remember to take notes on my own techniques - this is a great way to do it without detracting from the simplicity and beauty of your page.

christina said...

this red is absolutely beautiful!