Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thursday Theme: Acorns pt. 3 - Mixed (media) Nuts

Only one project to show in this week's installment in the continuing theme of acorns.  I spent Monday at Mom's house, working on an idea I had gotten over the weekend.  See, one of our favorite dies for the die cutting machine is the rosette designed by Tim Holtz.  And I like to put things other than the provided circle in the middle of them.  So what did I do? 

Well...

I cut an acorn, embellished it with Distress Ink, Distress Embossing Powder, and Glossy Accents.  While that dried (all freaking day), I cut and assembled a rosette from the Authentique Fall papers.  By the time I was done, I really liked the back of it:

There's Tissue Tape on it to keep it from falling apart at the perforations.

So I decided that this would not be something I glued down onto something else.  I'd have to hang it from something so I could see both sides.  So I made two more, in the smaller sizes:

The tiny one is so cute.

Fortunately, I had two cut out acorns that hadn't turned out so good (embossing powder fail) which I still have to do the Glossy Accents on, but which are now stuck onto the fronts of the rosettes.  So here's how they look from the front:

The tiny one is a little wonky because I had to trim it down from the full-sized acorn cutout.

The plan is to hang the medium one from the large one, and the small on from the medium one.  I just haven't decided how.  I think I want to use either white and brown baker's twine or the acorn charms Mom gave me:


What do you think?  Would the rosettes look better connected by baker's twine or by metal acorns?  Leaf me a comment and let me know what you think would look better (see what I did there?).

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love how the rosettes turned out! It is amazing how folding paper can have such a big visual impact.

Maryanne said...

Well, you know I love the rosettes with the acorn centers. I think I would use the charms because they would add some weight. You could also use the bakers twine and put a charm on the end to weight it. I just love them no matter what you do with them!

Diana Taylor said...

Oh my goodness those rosettes are just gorgeous - I am in love with those acorns - they are just amazing and I love the papers you used. I also love the acorn chain so I think that would be my choice but only because it's too beautiful to stay in the packet! Whatever you do will be stylish and beautiful!