First, I put together my Paper Source garland, and I'm really pleased with the result. I was afraid my Tim Holtz Stampers Anonymous flourish stamp would be too fancy for the cute style acorns, but I think it works, though I just got a new flourish stamp that probably would've worked better. Oh well. At any rate, I stamped half of the kraft paper acorns with Frayed Burlap Distress Ink so that it's just a subtle detail and shows up almost randomly. I'll let you decide what you think of it:
Hanging over the fireplace where at some point we intend to put up a mantel but for now I like garlands there.
Closeup shot - a slightly better view of the wood vs. the kraft paper.
I tried doing some tags with details from the Vagabond machine at Mom's the other day, but they weren't really coming together the way I had envisioned, so nothing is even assembled. But last night I decided to experiment with my new flourish stamp (it's by Hero Arts) and my little Paper Source acorn stamp in a much more minimalist style. I used Antique Linen Distress Ink, Sepia Archival Ink, and Peerless watercolors with a tiny bit of Forest Moss Distress Ink for shading.
This was actually a lot of fun and even a little tricky.
Playing with the Peerless watercolors made me want to take a watercolor class. I've always liked watercolors and have experimented with them in the past, but I've never really known what I'm doing with them. I usually end up laying the color on too darkly and then have to wet my brush more and just sort of push the color around on the paper and usually end up with it too wet. Not exactly a smooth practice.
Anyway, maybe next week I'll get something done with some of the dimensional stuff I've got. Or maybe I'll knock out some ATCs or a few more tags. We'll see what I'm in the mood for. There will be more acorns though!