Thursday, April 11, 2013

Thursday Theme: Fauna

This post could also be titled "Put a Bird on It."  I'm back to my disrupted Spring themes, after missing yet another week.  I'm kind of failing at being consistent lately.  But I'm back!  With birds! 

If you've been following me for a while, you know I have a weird seasonal affinity for different things.  One of those things, as it turns out, is birds.  Spring makes me happy to see and hear the birds again.  So I'm trying to bring them into my art a little more.  For example, I found this lovely bird stamp:


A couple of years ago, I saw this 7 Gypsies set of cling stamps and had to have it.  Ironically, I haven't used them much, because... well, I'm not sure.  Part of it is the scale, and that I haven't successfully managed to work them into a composition so that it looks good.  But maybe now that I'm more inclined towards ATCs, I can make something work.

In that set, as you can see, there are also butterflies.  Spring also makes me like butterflies more.  I like butterflies a lot in real life, but as an artistic motif, I generally find them to be overused.  Except in Spring.  And in a Prima set I got the weekend of the Seth Apter workshop, there's this adorable little guy:
 
 
Hopefully now that work is settling down, I'll be able to find some time to use these stamps some more.  Stay tuned for more Spring art!

2 comments:

Maryanne said...

Gee, I wonder where you get the seasonal thing! I didn't remember the 7 Gypsies stamps. They're cool!

Diana Taylor said...

As someone who is obsessed by moths I know what you mean about the over-use of the butterfly image - it can be hard placing it in art work. But I'm sure you won't have that problem with these gorgeous stamps - I'm very much looking forward to seeing what you do with them.