Saturday, December 29, 2007

Tribe Pride, yo!

My quest is at an end. I finally found a perfect lace pattern for a William and Mary scarf. It's Feather Lace from Vogue Stitchionary Vol. 1. Oh is it perfect.

See, I wanted something that would look like feathers. Because the NCAA had a problem with Willliam and Mary being the "Tribe" because that's apparently offensive to Native American Indians. Nevermind the validity given to the name because W&M was the first Indian school in the colonies. Whatever, that's only, ya know, historical legacy or somesuch. And don't even get me started on the fact that "Tribe" does not indicate what kind of tribe. Anyway, W&M challenged the NCAA's opinion, and so we get to keep being the Tribe. Not to be completely shut down, however, the NCAA decided that W&M has to change their logo. No more feathers. Having feathers in the logo is "hateful and offensive." Yeah, I don't buy it either. They should look at the really old logo, from when W&M was "the Indians." But President Gene Nichol decided it would be too much hassle and expense for the College to fight it when it's just an athletic logo, and so he just accepted it (the one reasonable decision I've seen him make so far), despite how ludicrous the ruling is. So now I am very happy to have the stuff that I have with the feather logo. And I will continue to use it on my own stuff. And this is why I insist on my Tribe green and gold quiviut scarf having a feather motif.

Wanna see how it's going so far? Ta-daa!
tribescarf1

I know, it doesn't look like much now. But it'll be a lot clearer once it's blocked. It's fuzzy yarn, after all.
tribescarf2

When it's stretched, the motif looks just like the W&M feathers. Woohoo!

Tribe Pride, yall! Get some!

4 comments:

Trillian42 said...

Pretty!

And yeah, my HS went from the Indians to "Big Red" a few years back. It's a little odd, but I guess I can see it from the other side, too. Although, maybe I should start bitching about Notre Dame being the "Fighting Irish"... ;)

Oh, and did I remember to tell you to bring over your laptop on NYE to try it on our network?

Lola said...

Yep . . . to heck with Political Correctness. Sigh. I myself have a negative reaction to the "African Americann" term.

The pattern looks great . . . looking forward to seeing how it turs out.

Anonymous said...

snerk. You and your soapbox.
:-) Love the scarf though!

~Murph

Pocket Size said...

LoL yeah sis, me and my soapbox. I like it, it makes me taller ;)